Why Your Child Should Start Orthodontic Treatment Early
A big question parents are always wondering about is when they should have their child seek orthodontic treatment, and how early. At Tilghman Orthodontics, we offer the most comprehensive care to not just adults, but to children as well. As a family-friendly office, we work with every family to ensure that their children’s smile can last a lifetime, even if it means starting work at an early age. As a parent however, you may be wondering why it’s important to start orthodontic treatment for your child at a young age, and why it’s necessary. At Tighman, we have comprised a list of all the benefits of early orthodontic treatment.
- Can Prevent Complications: The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that a child visit the orthodontist for early treatment at the age seven. Early treatment can prevent serious problems from developing. If left untreated, complications could arise later in life. At Tilghman, our orthodontist will be looking for crowding of teeth, openbites, crossbites, and overbites in your children.
- More than just cosmetic reasons: We want to ensure that children’s jaws and teeth are developing correctly, so that their jaw can function correctly for biting, chewing, and speaking. If their jaw isn’t functioning properly, this can lead to larger issues, such as:
- TMJ Disorder
- Harder for brushing & flossing
- Increased headaches
- Speech problems
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased dental health problems, such as cavities and periodontal disease.
These are just some of the many problems that could arise if treatment is ignored.
- Fix un-noticeable damage: While your child’s teeth may look straight, there still could be problems that are not seen by the normal eye. For example, if a baby tooth is still intact, the permanent adult tooth can still develop and grow in front or behind the baby tooth (and even at an angle). This will make the teeth become more crowded and crooked. By then, orthodontic treatment will become even more necessary.
- Gain More Confidence: As we get older, the more we can be self-conscious, especially about our looks. As we grow into adolescents and adulthood, the more pressure it is to feel and look perfect. One benefit of early orthodontic treatment is increased confidence so children can feel proud about their smile. Visions of metal mouth teenagers being teased by their peers can be a daunting picture for children and parents to imagine. Peer pressure has now become one of the most powerful incentives and motivational factors leading families to seek children orthodontic treatment.
At Tilghman Orthodontics, we strive to give the best advice to all of our patients. We want all families that walk into our practice to feel welcomed and informed about their treatment decisions. If you’re a parent that is curious as to whether their child needs orthodontic treatment, please feel free to contact us. We are here to answer any questions or concerns you have. Schedule a complimentary consultation today! We are excited to meet you!